Our client is seeking an experienced Software Engineering Manager to provide technical leadership to the Software Engineering Function in Information Services (I.S) at Client place. The person will have a strong development background and experience in operating at senior levels, leading teams and building large scale n-tier systems. They must have experience of working in an Agile Continuous Integration environment.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in building and leading software engineering teams with a track record of high quality delivery utilising modern technologies and processes.
- Work closely with Head of Software Engineering to understand and contribute to the Software Engineering roadmap by creating strategic directions for the use of concepts, technologies, languages, patterns, APIs, and frameworks.
- Align the SE team’s capabilities with this roadmap, and with the company’s business strategy.
- Work closely with senior leadership stakeholders ensure the roadmap is aligned with other key functions such as Quality Assurance & Test, Architecture, and Service delivery.
- Communicate overall vision and designs to others and present solutions and associated benefits/value.
- Manage a team of Software Engineers including objective setting, performance management, personal development (technical and behavioural), and work allocation.
- Provide thought-leadership and implementation direction in areas such as Agile/SAFe, Scrum, and DevOps.
- Provide project guidance and oversight from a technical standpoint to projects/scrum
- Where capability cannot be developed internally, provide details of new roles/skills that are required for the SE roadmap, and drive the staff acquisition efforts in line with agreed procedures.
- Work closely with the Business Process Management (BPM) team to standardise and document all processes relating to Software Engineering. Identify Single Person Dependencies and develop plans to address how these risks can be migrated.
- Very good knowledge of System Architectures, Software Engineering, and DevOps / Agile practices – experience of Agile Methodologies and operating in agile / scrum-based teams.
- Experience in leading/guiding teams and individuals in the development of complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, Service-oriented architectures (SOA) and relational databases.
- Experience of working in a test driven environment with continuous integration pipelines managing the orchestration of feature and regression test packaging &execution.
- Strong competencies in Building & Managing SE teams, Planning, Collaboration, Communication, and Strategic Thinking.
- Experience in transforming software development staff from legacy platforms to modern technologies.
- Experience putting together career development plans for software engineers
- Determined, focused, resilient, and innovative – understands what needs to happen, and gets it Knows how to navigate business and I.S. organisations
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills, with an ability to craft effective solutions
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
Qualifications & Certifications
- Degree in Computer Science
- Certifications in Technologies & Frameworks listed below
- At least 10 years experience as a software engineer, and a further 3 years experience in a leadership role.
High achiever with very strong software engineering background in several of the technologies and frameworks below;
- Experience in Containerisation – Kubernetes, Docker,etc.
- Java, Spring Framework, Spring Boot
- Networking & Communication Protocols – DNS, TCPIP, UDP, HTTP HTTPS, SSL, FTP, SCP, SOAP & REST
- Languages Java 8, MS SQL, C#, Powershell & Bash
- Testing Frameworks & Tooling, BDD, Cucumber, TestNG, JUnit, NUnit, JQuery, Selenium
- Strong knowledge in security fundamentals: authentication/authorization frameworks (e.g., SSO, SAML, OAuth), secure transport (e.g., SSL, TLS), identity management (certificates, PKI)
- Experience of continuous integration and continuous delivery principles and methodoligies.
Innovation and Change
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Team Working and Cross Functional Collaboration
Communication and Influencing