The Product Owner is expected to work with the Dev Teams to elaborate the high-level Product Roadmap into an estimated Product Backlog. Find below more details for this role:
- Technically minded (particularly in the API space)– our customers are technical users and therefore the requirements are often in relation to security, transport and API technologies and protocols. Having a conceptual understanding and/or experience in these areas is important. Previous development experience would be a distinct advantage.
- Experienced in Agile– develop using the Scrum methodology delivering new features in 2-week intervals. Experience in this type of environment would be key.
- Articulate the Product Vision: The PO works with the Product Management team to understand the Product Vision and drive out a high-level Product Roadmap of work to achieve that Vision. They are then responsible for articulating and inspiring the Dev Teams to deliver that Roadmap and Vision.
- Release planning:The PO is responsible for the feature/function capability of a release. They are expected to work with the Dev Teams to elaborate the high-level Product Roadmap into an estimated Product Backlog. The PO will then prioritize Backlog Artifacts (Stories, Tasks, Bugs) into ongoing Sprints and predict when various Roadmap items will be delivered.
- Represent the Stakeholderin the Dev Team: The PO defines Stakeholder requirements based on the business value (the “what” and “why). This often means contacting Stakeholders directly, understanding their specific requirements and feeding this information to the Dev Teams through Refinement and Sprint Planning sessions to create a solution (the ‘How’) that satisfies all stakeholders needs.