Job Title: Data Warehouse Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Contract Length: Permanent
Our life Insurance client is seeking a talented Data Warehouse Software Development Engineer in
Test (SDET) who is passionate about Software Quality, has an Agile Tester mindset and is interested in developing their knowledge and skillset within the Data Warehouse space. This role will involve close collaboration with all members within the Data & Analytics team to support and test throughout the entire data development lifecy within our data warehouse and reporting systems, including data profiling, ETL and data model design, development, testing and support. We’re looking for someone who has strong experience testing data warehouse and reporting systems and the underlying ETL jobs. The ideal candidate for this role has a programming background and has experience leveraging test automation within the Data Warehouse layer to support an efficient testing strategy. This candidate is team oriented, quality-focused and a great communicator with a proven ability to streamline the QA process by leveraging automated solutions.
• Design and develop the test strategy and test artifacts to validate our data warehouse E2E
process and reporting interfaces.
• Responsible for devising the test automation strategy and tools for validating the data,
functionality, and ETL & BI solution testing in collaboration with the QA Practice Lead.
• Conduct thorough testing of the data warehouse solutions.
• Devise an environment management strategy for the Data Warehouse and Reporting Test
environment instances in collaboration with the team and the QA Practice Lead.
• Work with the team to define the core QA gates and processes for new Data Warehouse
feature development in collaboration with the Quality Practice Lead.
• Work with the team to define the key QA gates and test approach for functionality delivered
by the Data & Analytics team.
• Build out a core data warehouse regression suite focusing on leveraging automated validation
to maximum effect.
• Validate the source to target mappings using a variety of tools.
• Reports validation ensuring the finalised reports are an accurate reflection of the source data.
• Ensure comprehensive and transparent test coverage for new and existing functionality.
• Ensure the testability of new Data Warehouse features is considered during analysis and
• Develop a deep understanding of the E2E flow in the Data Warehouse and the associated BI
• Test coordination with the relevant User Acceptance Testers to ensure we have an efficient
test approach across these phases of test.
• Implement best of breed, scalable solutions according to defined patterns and practices.
• Work closely with the Data & Analytics Software Engineers to develop a deep understanding
of the underlying SQL Server Integration (SSIS) packages and associated Data transformations.
• Work as part of a Scrum team using Agile practices and adhering to the values and principles.
• Promote testing best practices within the team.
• Researching test tools, methodologies, and trends and working on continuous process
improvement initiatives within the Quality Practice.
• Work closely with the Data Architect to create the appropriate test strategies for new
• Excellent MS SQL Server experience and can build and analyse complex SQL queries
• Experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Microsoft Power BI And SQL Server
Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Experience working with relational data models
• Experience implementing best-in-class testing strategies, processes, test tools and best
practices for databases
• Must be a self-starter comfortable working in a fast-paced, flexible environment, and take
the initiative to learn new tools and concepts quickly
• Strong Experience working as a technical tester specialising in data warehouse technologies
• Experience with test automation in the Data Warehouse space with hands on experience
with programming languages such as Java, Python, Bash, PowerShell.
• Demonstrate hands on experience of testing code quality & metric production & the
implementation of quality gates
• Agile tester mindset and approach that has experience defining test approaches that
maximise the Return in Investment from automation
• Strong communication skills and the ability to influence the Delivery Team on Software
Quality best practices and ensuring testable high-quality software
• Proven ability to assess inefficiencies in testing strategies and the successful execution of
Technologies & Frameworks:
• SQL Server Management Studio + Integration Services addon (SSIS)
• SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
• SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Power BI
• Strong SQL Server skills – Building and analysing complex queries and PL/SQL
• Tivoli Workload Scheduler (TWS) or similar Enterprise Scheduling tools
• Java, Python, Bash, PowerShell
• The candidate needs to be a self- starter and implement best of breed testing solutions
• Passionate about Quality with a continuous drive for improvements
• Strong communicator and proven ability to influence test approach and process within teams
• Interested in Data & Analytics and developing their expertise and skillset in this area
Necessary Qualifications / Skills:
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
• 3rd level qualification (honours degree), preferably in a related discipline.
• Experience in the financial services background