The Global Databerg Report1 estimates that 52% of all data in organizations is dark – data with an undetermined business value. This unknown in the data landscape costs organizations millions every year. Additionally, 33% of organizational data is Redundant, Obsolete or Trivial (ROT) and only 15% is catalogued as business critical. These massive repositories of no or low-value data are a direct result of data hoarding strategies implemented by organizations that were unprepared to deal with the explosive growth of data in the digital age. Consequently, organizations are not only wasting millions on storage costs which could potentially be avoided, they are also being exposed to security and regulatory risk.
With a growing sense of urgency to gain control of costs associated with storing and maintaining information along with a need to reduce the compliance and security risks, understanding how you can get started understanding your dark data is important. Sabeo offers a simple and rapid assessment to help identify where your organization can take steps to save millions on storage and locate risk that may be hiding where you least expect it.
The Sabeo Dark Data Assessment delivers insights regarding three key use cases:
- Prevent security threats – Use the Dark Data Assessment to identify which data has the greatest risk of exposure. Learn how files have been accessed and get insight into how users are treating sensitive data. View organizational risk exposure to open permission file shares and use this insight to begin putting a remediation plan in place.
- Optimize storage – The Dark Data Assessment can uncover stale and orphan data and drive storage cleanup by exposing insights regarding the timeline and frequency of data usage. Gain confidence in your deletion and retention policies so you can stop wasting millions on unnecessary storage cost.
- Find PII and reduce regulatory risk – Lower the risk associated with having Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in your unstructured data by understanding where it is and who has access to it. The Dark Data Assessment helps you classify your data and get ready for upcoming regulations such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other relevant regulations that your organization is subject to.
If you are interested in discovering more about your data, contact Sabeo now and we will provide you with a detailed quotation.
PERFORMING A DARK DATA ASSESSMENT
The Sabeo Dark Data Assessment utilises industry-leading Veritas Data Insight, an easy to deploy tool that scans your unstructured data, performs risk analysis, and delivers published reports in as little as 24 hours, giving you an immediate action plan to reduce risk and storage cost.
The Dark Data Assessment can be completed in three quick steps:
- Identify and configure target data: Identify a file server that is representative of the type of data your organization stores. Configure the server to be accessed by our scanning tool.
- Scan the file server: Data Insight collects analytics about the target data, such as file metadata and permissions information. Additionally, it classifies files based on the level of PII (i.e., low to high, light to dense). For example, a combination of both date of birth and email address (10 or more instances) is considered low-risk PII, whereas credit card numbers will usually be classified as high-risk PII. Dense PII conditions are met when there are 10 or more hits for high-risk PII.
- Generate report: The assessment is summarized in reports that shine a light on aged data, file type consumption, inactive data, user/group permissions and PII. This information assists in making decisions that reduce risk and storage costs. Take advantage of Veritas Dark Data Assessment to understand your dark data better. Use the reports to kick start conversations with your legal, risk and compliance teams to take proactive steps towards your information governance goals.
Sample Data Aging Report
Sabeo Dark Data Assessment Scope
- 1 to 2 Filers/Shares
- 5TB Total Capacity
- Windows without agent deployed and/or NetApp without fPolicy configured in Data Insight Assessment Deliverables
- Data Aging • Consumption by File Type/File Group
- Inactive by File Type/File Group • User/Group Permissions
- VMO Expected Timeframe for Assessment • 1 to 5 days Deliverable Assets
- Assessment Report
- Findings Presentation Delivery Resource
- Veritas TSS Resource (SE, Architect, Specialist)
- Certified Veritas Partner Enablement Requirements
- Data Insight “POC Level” Training, OR
- Assessment Training Boot camp
Iceberg Photo © the_lightwriter